I build businesses with words.
I’m a writer and communication strategist, landed in the (amazing) flyover city of Columbus, Ohio. Words are my day job and my 6:55 AM obsession. And I produce fantastic, shareable >content< for brands, businesses, and startups.
I’m not just any writer, though.
Sure, words are my weapon of choice. But I started building businesses when I was five. I did my Dad’s accounting when I was twelve. So basically? I’m the creative on the marketing team, and the marketer on the creative team. I think like an entrepreneur. I don’t slap together words, I solve problems.
I’m the writer that startups hire.
My specialty? Creating readable, human content for fintech/insurtech startups.
And here’s the best part: I get your content game off the ground fast. And when I say fast, I mean that I can launch your startup’s content strategy—conception and production—in a two-week content sprint. Really.
Okay. What else?
Well, in my free[-writing] time, I also write articles and narrative essays about religion, culture, identity, and all the strange ways those things intersect. (What can I say? I really love writing.)
Finally, I have an extremely large thesaurus that I am not afraid to use. Don’t cross me.
Here’s what I can do.
For businesses, brands, and startups:
- The Official Portfolio (various sources)
- Here’s Why Your Car Insurance Rate Changed (Root)
- “What are my workers’ comp options?” (Huckleberry)
- The Fair Insurance Manifesto (Root)
- How We’re Building the Car Insurance of the Future (Root)
On religion, culture, tacos:
- Trump May Be the End of the World As We Know It—But For Some Evangelicals, That’s Just Fine (Religion Dispatches—over 7,000 Facebook shares)
- Five Ways to Dig Winter in Columbus for $5 or Less (614 Now)
- When You Argue With a Fundamentalist You Don’t Know What You’re Asking For (Religion Dispatches; syndicated to The Raw Story)
- A Taste of Nepal: Columbus’s Hidden Dumpling (614 Now)
(Hey, this is just a sampling. Want more examples? Find more work here.)
Thanks for reading along. You can talk to me about your favorite lost cause—or hire me for your project—at nelle at nellesmith.com.